In August 2022, NIO and Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival jointly launched "THE HORIZON" photography project, with the theme of "THE HORIZON", to collect outstanding photography works internationally. The selected works will be presented in a group exhibition at the 2022 Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival, curated by Dutch curator Ruben Lundgren. At the same time, this project will invite one participating photographer to join the "Young Artists Program" of Three Shadows Photography Art Centre in 2023.
Photography art has the extraordinary ability to transcend regions and cultures. "THE HORIZON" photography project will reshape the world's understanding of a sustainable future from the perspective of photographers, create art while sharing multi-dimensional observations and insights, and actively contribute to the protection of the global environment and sustainable development.
NIO's logo is inspired by the horizon. It consists of a sky that symbolizes openness and the future, as well as a way that symbolizes actions and the way forward. It stands for NIO's philosophy of pursuing a better tomorrow and blue sky, as well as creating a pleasant lifestyle for users. NIO and the Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival will reaffirm their vision for a bright future and clear sky with "THE HORIZON" photography program.
Eligibility for Participation
Regardless of age and nationality, all photographers and image creators around the world are welcome to participate.
Participants can email photographic works or series along with relevant descriptions to email@example.com with "THE HORIZON + name" as the subject of the email. Please use JPG format for your works, and make sure each file is under 5MB. Each contributor can submit one or multiple works from only one series, and the maximum number of works is 9.
· Deadline: September 16, 2022 （18:00 GMT+8）
• Selection time: September 16 - October 15, 2022
• Official announcement of the finalists: October 28, 2022
• Exhibition opening: November 25, 2022
• The finalist works will be exhibited in the world-renowned Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival, and some works will be included in the 2022 Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival album.
• Each finalist will receive a limited-edition 2022 Jimei x Arles album.
• The finalists will have the opportunity to join in the 2023 "Young Artist Program", which is hosted by Three Shadows Photography Art Centre, to have one-on-one exchanges with well-known artists and curators on creation throughout the year, and hold a solo exhibition at Three Shadows Photography Art Centre 3.0 space.
Instructions for Participation
• Entries must be original works of which the entrant owns the copyright, and no plagiarism or copying is allowed. Entrants must retain the original information of the photo.
• The entry must be a photo shot with a camera or mobile phone, regardless of creation time, camera or mobile phone model.
• Entries can only be slightly post-processed on a small scale. We don’t accept any computer-generated image or any work that changes the original image. Only photos in JPG format and at least 1800 pixels on the shorter side are accepted.
• The creator of the entry should own its independent and complete copyright, and the subject matter and genre of the entry shall not violate the laws or regulations of the People's Republic of China. For any entry involving disputes over portrait rights, reputation rights, copyrights, etc., the relevant legal responsibilities shall be borne by the entrant only. At the same time, the host and the organizer have the right to immediately disqualify the relevant entries.
• This exhibition does not involve any participation fee. Artists of the finalist works shall allow the host institution to use the digital files of the participating works in exhibitions, albums, public events, and media promotions related to this project worldwide.
• Contributors will be deemed to consent to and abide by the above provisions. The right to interpret this open call for entries belongs to NIO and Jimei Arles.
About the Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival
Jointly organised by Three Shadows Photography Art Centre and Tianxia Jimei Media, the Jimei x Arles International Photo Festival was launched in Xiamen's Jimei District in 2015. Since then, Jimei x Arles has presented more than 200 exhibitions from China and the rest of Asia, as well as a selection of excellent shows from Les Rencontres d'Arles. The exhibitions are primarily presented in the Jimei Citizen Square Main Exhibition Hall and the Three Shadows Photography Art Centre Xiamen, as well as other sites across the island of Xiamen. During the opening week and the entire run of the festival, art lovers and the general public will be able to enjoy a variety of events such as the opening ceremony, the award ceremony, portfolio reviews, lectures, guided tours, performances, screenings, workshops, and field trips.
About Three Shadows Photography Art Centre
Three Shadows Photography Art Centre is China’s first independent institution specialised in contemporary photography, co-founded by the influential Chinese contemporary photographer RongRong and his wife, celebrated Japanese photographer Inri, in June 2007. Since its founding, Three Shadows has been the country’s premiere platform for the presentation, promotion, and international exchange of photography, hosting high-calibre exhibition, lecture, education, publication, artist residency and other events and programmes. Three Shadows Photography Art Centre is comprised of two spaces, north and south: one is situated in Beijing’s Caochangdi Art District, and the other in Xinglinwan, Jimei District in the southern Chinese city of Xiamen. Aside from its exhibition spaces, Three Shadows Photography Art Centre is also home to +3 Gallery, image production facilities, a photography library, a photography education centre, and a photography bookstore.
NIO Inc. is a global smart electric vehicle company. Founded on November 25, 2014, NIO’s mission is to shape a joyful lifestyle by offering high-performance smart electric vehicles and ultimate user experience. NIO has established R&D centers, as well as manufacturing, sales and service facilities in Shanghai, Hefei, Beijing, Nanjing, San Jose, Munich, Oxford, Oslo and other places. NIO has initially set up the user service network with nationwide coverage in China and began its global market entry since 2021.